Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Language 101... More or less...

    Did you know that the only thing that isn't genetically passed from parent to child, is the accent? Provokes some thinking. I myself, have always had a problem of mocking, or impersonating accents (I even lost a job because of it, it's a long story). I can analyse accents and dialects, and am able to tell the origin of said accent.
    So, I got to thinking how the American accent came about. As many of you know, the American broke away from the "Crown" seeking independence. Of course, ethnic and vocal independence. I noticed that there were some similarities with the Irish accent, using the "r's." I'll give an example of our dialects, here is a sentence, "The general saw a dog." The American accent would pronounce it like this (phonetically), "Thee gehnerahl saw aee dohg." The English would pronounce it (somewhat) like this, "Thee gehnuhruhl sawr aee dawg." If you are unable to depict the phonetic spelling, watch British television, 'nough said. The English accent has other "side effects." When pronouncing "saw," they add an "r" sound at the end, making it sound like, "sawr." Any "ah" or "aw" sounds, they sometimes add the "r" sound. With some words they even altered the spelling to fit their accent, namely, "arse."
    So this made me think, because every language has a different "rendition" of the english language, the pronunciation must be different. In my studies of the Russian language, I noticed they didn't have the letter "j," pronunciation-wise. To spell out "Jones" in Russian, you have to spell it "d-zh-oh-n-s." In German "w" is "v" like "Voltwagon" is "Voltsvagon."
    So to wrap things up, what I'm getting at is that because the English, Germans, and Russians speak the English language differently, doesn't mean they think the same of us, speaking their language!

No comments:

Post a Comment